Saturday 14 December 2013

Episode review: Flight to the Finish

It's the weekend, which means a new pony episode, which means it's time for a new pony review!
This episode was, admittedly, a little disappointing. After I greatly enjoyed the first three episodes of S4, I didn't like this one quite as much. That said, it was still a fun episode that kept me excited for the rest of S4. And hey, there's just one more that I'm not at all looking forward to, so that's a definite plus. 

The positives are much the same as the positives of other episodes. It was a lot of fun, with fun jokes and decent chemistry between the characters. I don't find the Cutie Mark Crusaders to be especially compelling characters, but they can carry an episode, if just barely. Like the past two episodes, it was fun. A character returns from a previous episode, and her voice actor has very amusing pronunciation. 

However, this episode was supposed to be emotional. While I'm sure it worked for some, it didn't for me. It didn't make me tear up, or feel sad, or anything like that. If anything, it bored me a little. The problem is that I really don't care about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, so I don't care much about their conflicts. It probably doesn't help that it came off as a bit emotionally manipulative, with the main issue being inherently sad and all. However, the characters' reactions are fairly sound, even if Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom acted a bit immaturely. 

Overall, it's a fun episode, but its attempts to be emotional fell flat in my opinion. Overall, I liked it, but it's so far the weakest episode of the season. Hopefully next week is better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment