Saturday 21 December 2013

Episode review: Power Ponies

So this is the episode everyone's been dreading. I suppose they had a point.

I wanted to like this episode. I really did. I was hoping for a fun MLP-flavoured superhero romp. I think that's what they were going for, but they didn't succeed. Much of the episode consisted of jokes that, in my opinion, fell flat. In fact, a lot of the episode was outright groan-worthy. It took a little too long to actually get to the superhero part, and even then it didn't do enough with it.

The ponies' powers weren't very creative. They were mostly parodies of other superheroes, but without much actual humour. That follows through with much of the rest of the episode. It's just not very creative, with most of the episode's ideas being kinda generic. When it actually gets to the superhero part, it's just kinda dull. If there was more to the fight scenes, I might have liked it more, but they were mostly just there for the sake of having more lame in-jokes. Sometimes, there's a joke that feels like something from a stupid fan video. I just did't find any of it very funny.

The dialogue consisted heavily of exposition, which may have been the episode's biggest issue. Most of the episode, I felt like I was being told what was happening. I'm not sure if it's so much a "show-don't-tell" issue as just boring dialogue. Either way, it's dull.

This episode is kinda hard to review, because there's only so many ways to say "it's not creative enough" and "it's lame". I wasn't entertained, and that's all there is to it. Hopefully, next week's episode is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment