Saturday 15 March 2014

Episode review: Maud Pie

Uh, that happened. I think.

Y'know, with this episode, I think it's best not to beat around the bush. I don't think this was a particularly good idea. With this episode, they introduced a character that was written to be boring. A lot of the episode revolves around her, and with other characters' interactions with her. It's a slice-of-life episode, meaning that it just plays out like a day where this character came to visit. You can see the problem, right?

I'm not saying this episode was bad. Thankfully, the character interactions were able to generate a few good laughs, and all the characters were implicitly at their best, even if they didn't do very much. You see, it's probably about as good as it could have been, and for that I have to give kudos. I fear if they'd tried to make it more exciting, the Mane 6's attempts to befriend Maud would have been exaggerated to cringe-worthy levels. Instead, it remains mildly enjoyable if never exciting.

I dunno, it's kinda boring. Great moments? Sure, they happened, but after a while the awkward pauses and quirky dullness lose their charm. Again, it has its moments, which are enough to make the episode enjoyable, but there's nothing special about it. By the end of the season I can easily see myself having forgotten about this episode entirely. And that's also true of some of the other episodes released the past few weeks, but they were a bit more exciting. They felt like they left at least a little bit of an impact. This episode was inconsequential. And again, that doesn't mean it's bad. If you liked it, that's perfectly fine. I can't necessarily say I didn't like it. But I did feel a bit of disappointment.

It's not necessarily a bad episode. Again, there were some funny moments. But when it comes down to it, what's really there? Not a whole lot. For once, I don't think the target audience would get much out of this episode, but that remains to be seen. I dunno what else to say. Some decent moments, kinda boring, I guess it's okay. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment