Saturday 27 September 2014

Retrospective review: Hearts and Hooves Day

Another episode that only grows more enjoyable every time I watch it.

To be honest, though, that doesn't mean too much, because I didn't care for it at first. However, the more I watch it, the more I love it, and having descended further into the fandom since I first saw the episode, I find it considerably more funny than I used to.

"Hearts and Hooves Day" is an episode about shipping. At least, that's how the internet fandom will see it. A lot of the CMC's actions can be attributed to your stereotypical shipper. Hell, I could kinda relate, having done some shipping myself. Outside of that, though, I find some difficulty figuring out what the episode relates to in real life. I suppose that things kinda like this do happen, but I have no experience with this and couldn't personally relate.

However, on its own terms, the episode is particularly fast-paced, being filled to the brim with action. The episode never slows down, being a mad dash from start to finish. Thankfully, it's not too complicated, making its action easy to follow. Characters run around, scenes cut almost rapid-fire, and there's never a dull moment. The humour is... a bit hard to label as clever, though it's charming. It's very well timed, though the writing more quirky than anything. There's a number of stand-out moments, but that's largely because of memorable dialogue and excellent animation.

Said animation is another strong point here, especially in the facial expressions. As said, it's fast-paced, and there's a fair amount going on, Small details in the facial expressions make for quirky moments, like the Cutie Mark Crusaders' growing anticipation of Cheerilee and Big Mac expressing their "love" for each other. This episode indeed puts the delight in the details.

"Hearts and Hooves Day" is a fun episode, and while I didn't take a whole lot from it, I greatly enjoyed it. Perhaps Big Mac and Cheerilee's dialogue might get grating to some, but it's offset by the amount of action and fun moments throughout. Although, if you were able to take something out of this episode, I'd like you to let me know in the comments.




P.S. Appledash master ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment